Safari Ltd Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus was one of the largest meat-eating dinosaurs of all time. This terrifying theropod was named after the great white shark, Carcharodon, and rivalled the mighty T. rex in both size and ferocity. It prowled the river deltas of northern Africa during the Late Cretaceous, 93 million years ago.
- Scientific Name: Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
- Characteristics: Carcharodontosaurus is a giant two-legged carnivore with a large narrow head, jaws filled with sharp blade-like teeth, and a long counterbalancing tail. It has long muscular legs with three-toed feet, short arms with three-fingered hands, and sharp curved claws.
- Size: This detailed and accurate figure is 8.87 inches long and 4 inches high. Its striking dusty yellow colour will help it stay camouflaged as it stalks its prey in sandy desert environments.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
This ground-shaking carnivore was first named in 1927 on the basis of two isolated teeth found in Algeria. It was given the name ‘Megalosaurus saharicus’ after the Sahara Desert where it was discovered. In 1931, better fossil material was described from Egypt, including part of the skull, leg bones, and several back bones. It was given a new tongue-twisting name in reference to the shape of the teeth, which are blade-like and resemble those of the great white shark, Carcharodon. Hence, Carcharodontosaurus saharicus means ‘great white shark reptile from the Sahara’.
Sadly, the rare Carcharodontosaurus fossils were entirely destroyed during the Second World War, when a bomb hit the museum in Munich, Germany, where the Egyptian fossils were kept. Decades later, in 1995, an impressive new skull was discovered in Morocco. With the Algerian teeth now lost and the Egyptian skeleton a victim of war, this Moroccan skull became the new basis for this spectacular dinosaur.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 22.75 L x 10.25 H
- Size in inches: 8.96 L x 4.04 H
- UPC: 095866000554
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh