Safari Ltd Pufferfish
Despite their somewhat silly appearance, the majority of pufferfish species are toxic and they are amongst the most poisonous vertebrates in the world. They are primarily found in tropical waters, although they are occasionally native to temperate zones as well.
- Scientific Name: Family Tetraodontidae (four-toothed pufferfishes), Family Diodontidae (two-toothed pufferfishes or porcupinefishes)
- Characteristics: Sculpted and painted by hand, this pufferfish figurine makes an exceptional gift for an aspiring marine biologist. There are over 100 species of pufferfish found around the globe – can you determine which species this one is?
- Size and Color: Measuring 3.75 inches long and 2.75 inches tall, this pufferfish model is about the size of a deck of cards on its side. Pufferfish can come in many different colors, this one being a sunny yellow with brown, black, and red spots.
- The Pufferfish is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Contrary to popular belief, the pufferfish’s primary defensive mechanism is not its ability to expand. Instead, it has a unique tail fin which can act as a rudder and provide the pufferfish with an exceptional burst of speed over short distances. When it senses a predator about to strike, it will speed up and hopefully avoid harm. However, if this does not work the pufferfish will then suck either air or water into its stomach. In doing so, it becomes more challenging to attack due its increased size and outward facing toxic barbs.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 9.5 L x 6.9 H
- Size in inches: 3.74 L x 2.75 H
- UPC: 095866250409
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items. *Excluding pre-sale items
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh