Safari Ltd Abaco Barb Mare
The Abaco Barb lived on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas, about 180 miles east of Florida. The horses are notable for their wild status, their unique island home, and their famous bloodline. Although not native, the horses lived in the Bahamas for hundreds of years.
- Scientific Name: Equus caballus
- Characteristics: Abaco refers to the Abacos Islands in the Bahamas, where these wild horses make their home, while Barb refers to the Spanish Barb from which these beautiful animals descended.
- Size and Color: Featuring a paint color scheme, this brown and white Abaco Barb mare measures 5 inches long, about the same as a pen.
- The Abaco Barb Mare is part of the Safari Farm Winner's Circle collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
The story of the Abaco Barb sounds like a movie script, and perhaps the credits haven’t yet rolled. The breed comes from Spain, and the horses first crossed the Atlantic during Columbus’ journeys during the Age of Discovery. The name Barb comes from the Barbary horses of North Africa, which were bred with already-famous Spanish horses to create the rare breed. Many shipwrecks occurred in the area of the Bahamas during the 15th and 16th centuries, and the horses likely swam to the islands after a storm. Abaco Barbs created a niche in the island forest ecosystem where they thrived for decades. However, a hurricane destroyed much of the Abaco Barb’s habitat, and manmade threats created more issues. The herd’s numbers dropped, despite heroic efforts, and in 2015, the last Abaco Barb died. However, tissue samples were saved in a laboratory, with hopes that the breed might someday be cloned, giving it a fresh start.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 13 L x 3.3 W x 9.2 H
- Size in inches: 5.12 L x 1.3 W x 3.62 H
- UPC: 095866154202
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh