Safari Ltd American Desert Hare
Also called the black-tailed jackrabbit, this hare makes its home in the southwestern North America. To outrun its many predators, this hare has powerful legs that allow it to reach speeds of up to 30 mph and leap over ten feet in a single bound.
- Scientific Name: Lepus californicus
- Characteristics: This desert hare is standing at attention, scanning the area with its erect, alert ears. Ready to spring into action at the first sign of a predator, this hand painted and accurately detailed figure won’t hop away from wherever you decide to place it.
- Size and Color: Our desert hare figure measures 3 inches tall to the tip of its ears, and is 1 ¾ inches long. Including its ears, the figure is a little bit smaller than a credit card stood on end. It’s a grayish brown above with a cream colored chest and underbelly, with white accents on the mouth and eyes, and pale pink inside the ears. The black tail coloration only covers the top of its tail, and is not visible when the tail is upturned as it is on our figure.
- The American Desert Hare is part of the Wild Safari® North American Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
The most widespread hare in North America, the American desert hare is a species of “Least Concern” according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). In addition to its native range, it has also been introduced along the east coast of the United States, from Florida to New Jersey.
Hares and rabbits are similar in appearance and are closely related, both comprising the family Leporidae. Both types feature short tails and elongated ears, and the confusion isn’t helped by the fact that some rabbits are referred to as hares, while some hares are also called jackrabbits. The main difference is that rabbits live in burrows underground, while hares live more solitary lives above ground. Hares are also usually larger, and have longer ears than rabbits.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 4.5 L x 3.5 W x 7.2 H
- Size in inches: 1.77 L x 1.38 W x 2.83 H
- UPC: 095866001469
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh