Safari Ltd Chicken
One of the most popular barnyard chickens is the white Leghorn, an excellent layer and medium-sized bird. It’s a hardy breed originally from Italy that weighs six to seven pounds as an adult. As chicks, Leghorns are cute, yellow, and fluffy.
- Scientific Name: Gallus domesticus
- Characteristics: This classic white Leghorn chicken is a farm favorite. The green platform ensures that it stands sturdily and allows ease of play on all surfaces.
- Size and Color: This Leghorn has white feathers with a red comb and wattle, along with yellow beak and legs, all chosen for realism. It measures 2 ¼ inches tall, making it about the size of a saltine cracker.
- The Chicken is part of the Safari Farm collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
In 1852 a Captain Gates sailed into the harbor at Mystic, Connecticut, after crossing the Atlantic from Italy. His cargo included Leghorn chickens, a breed named neither for its legs or for horns. In fact, Gates had sailed from the port of Livorno and the west coast of Northern Italy, in the region of Tuscany. The English name for Livorno is Leghorn, which provides the namesake for this popular breed of layers. The first shipment were brown Leghorns, with a shipment of white chickens arriving the very next year to Boston harbor. And with that, a mid-sized chicken that would eventually spread coast to coast began its journey into American history.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 4.25 L x 5.5 W x H
- Size in inches: 1.67 L x 2.17 W x 0.0 H
- UPC: 095866160203
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh