Safari Ltd Daeodon
Daeodon was an entelodont – a group of prehistoric hoofed mammals that resembled pigs. In fact, Daeodon was once known as “Dinohyus” which means “Terrible Pig”. Daeodons had huge heads that could measure up to three feet long, and they were omnivores, which means they ate plants and other animals. They ranged across the United States between 20 and 30 million years ago.
- Scientific Name: Daeodon shoshonensis (Daeodon means “Dreadful Teeth”)
- Characteristics: This Daeodon is posed in a running stance, showing off its intimidating teeth. The figure reproduces the unique features of Daeodon, including its distinctive protruding cheekbones and thin, long legs. It features a short mane similar to that of a warthog.
- Size and Color: The Daeodon figure measures 5 ¼ inches long and 3 ¼ inches tall, or a little bigger than an index card. Its mane, hooves and tail tip are dark brown, and its color fades from brown above to a lighter brown below. Its chin is white, and its fearsome teeth are off-white in its open pink mouth.
- The Daeodon is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Daeodon was discovered in 1878 by paleontologist Edward Drinker Cope, but was not classified as an entelodont until some 30 years later. Many other genera, including Dinohyus, would later be folded into the Daeodon genus.
Daeodon shoshonensis was the largest known entelodont, standing almost six feet tall at the shoulder. Its teeth and cheekbones were quite unique among entelodonts, and its exact relation to other members of the family is still not very well understood.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 13.21 L x 4.19 W x 8.13 H
- Size in inches: 5.2 L x 1.65 W x 3.2 H
- UPC: 095866002046
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items. *Excluding pre-sale items
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh