Safari Ltd Dimetrodon
Though commonly grouped with dinosaurs in children’s books and other media, the Dimetrodon was actually a synapsid, not a dinosaur. Synapsids are a group of animals that includes all mammals, as well as early mammal-like reptiles such as Dimetrodon.The large spiny sail on its back is its most distinctive feature, though its exact function remains unknown.
- Scientific Name: Dimetrodon (meaning “Two sizes of teeth”)
- Characteristics: Our hand-painted figure features the splayed stance, rounded skull, and unique teeth that Dimetrodon is known for, not to mention its most obvious identifier: the large spiny sail along its back.
- Size and Color: Our Dimetrodon is 7 inches long and 4 ¼ inches high at the tip of its sail, making it just a bit shorter than a soda can, and just a bit smaller in length than a pair of scissors. Its body is a greenish brown above fading to an orange underside, with dark brown claws. Its sail is brightly colored with an alternating pattern of yellow and red, based on the idea that the sail may have been used for display purposes.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Dimetrodon lived during the early Permian Period, long before the dinosaurs it would come to be so closely associated with. It was more closely related to mammals than to dinosaurs, or to any modern day reptile.
Dimetrodon’s sail has sparked debate ever since its discovery in the 1870s by Edward Drinker Cope. Earlier interpretations of the sail suggested it was used to regulate Dimetrodon’s body temperature by absorbing heat. However, more recent studies suggest it may have been poorly suited for such a task. Scientists now believe it may have been used for display purposes, to attract mates, and it may have had intricate, brightly colored patterns to achieve this purpose.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 18 L x 6 W x 10.5 H
- Size in inches: 7.09 L x 2.36 W x 4.13 H
- UPC: 095866001506
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh