Safari Ltd Flying Squirrel
Despite their name, flying squirrels are not capable of traditional flight. Instead, they are able to glide between trees using what’s known as a “patagium,” which is a parachute-like membrane. They are found all over the world, most commonly in forests and woodlands.
- Scientific Name: Family Sciuridae
- Characteristics: There are nearly fifty known species of flying squirrel found around the world. Can you determine which species this hand crafted and life-like model represents?
- Size and Color: Most flying squirrels are brown with shades of tan, and their gliding membrane is often white. Standing 5 inches tall and 6.5 inches wide, this figurine is as tall as a soda can and a bit wider than the length of a dollar bill.
- The Flying Squirrel is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Scientists aren’t actually sure why flying squirrels evolved with their unique adaptation. The most common theory is that gliding between trees when foraging for food is much more energy efficient than running and climbing. Another popular theory is that flying squirrels use their ability to glide as a defense mechanism to evade potential predators. Perhaps this figurine can help you discover why these amazing animals have such a remarkable adaptation!
- Recommended Age: 18 months and up
- Size in cm: 16.5 W x 12.5 H
- Size in inches: 6.5 W x 4.92 H
- UPC: 095866250201
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh