Safari Ltd Giganotosaurus
Giganotosaurus is the largest carnivorous dinosaur from South America. At an estimated 41 ft long, this massive dinosaur challenges even Tyrannosaurus rex for the title of largest theropod ever. Giganotosaurus occupied South America during the Late Cretaceous, 97 million years ago,
- Scientific Name: Giganotosaurus carolinii
- Characteristics: Giganotosaurus was a strong carnivore with large jaws filled with blade-like teeth. It walked on two muscular legs with three-toed feet and sharp, curved claws. It used its long tail to counterbalance its heavy head.
- Size and Color: This graceful figure is 14.5 inches long and 4 inches high. Its bold pattern of stripes is reminiscent of a tiger. This model is supported by a base.
- The Gigantosaurus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
This predator is gigantic by name and gigantic by nature. It was first reported by Rodolfo A. Coria and Leonardo Salgado in 1995 as the largest predatory dinosaur of all time. This claim was based on a partial skeleton including bones from the skull, shoulder, hips, and legs, plus most of the spine. The remains were excavated from the Río Limay Formation of Neuquén Province, Argentina, so it is without a doubt the largest theropod dinosaur from South America. However, no complete skeleton of Giganotosaurus is known, so its exact length is an estimate.
A massive jaw belonging to Giganotosaurus was described in 1998 that is eight percent larger than the corresponding bone in the skeleton described by Coria and Salgado. This tantalizing evidence suggests a skull over 6 ft long, and could mean that Giganotosaurus was even larger than Tyrannosaurus. More complete material is required to be sure.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 37 L x 10.25 H
- Size in inches: 14.57 L x 4.04 H
- UPC: 095866001001
|Rural Auckland Courier||$8.50|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$5.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$8.50|
|South Island Courier||$6.90|
|Rural South Island Courier||$8.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh