Safari Ltd Groundhog
The groundhog is known by many names, including woodchuck and whistlepig. The subject of folklore and tongue-twisters, this animal is not actually a hog, but a rodent. More specifically, the groundhog belongs to the marmot family. Several cities in North America hold festivals for Groundhog Day on February 2nd, when superstition holds that if a groundhog sees its shadow, winter will continue for six more weeks.
- Scientific Name: Marmota monax
- Characteristics: This groundhog is rearing up on his hind legs to have a bit of a look around. Keeping one of these rodents in captivity can be tough, but this hand painted, highly detailed figure can be your constant companion with none of the fuss.
- Size and Color: Our groundhog figure measures 4 ½ inches tall and 2 ½ inches long, or about as tall as a standard can of soda. It’s painted in shades of brown, including dark brown for its nose, ears, feet, and the top of its head, and lighter brown for the fur on its face and cheeks.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Groundhog Day celebrations are held in many U.S. cities, including Punxatawney, PA, Sun Prairie, WI, and Staten Island in New York City, as well as Wiarton in Ontario, Canada. Each city has its own representative groundhog, who is believed to predict either a long winter or an early spring, depending on whether or not it sees its own shadow. Arguably the most famous of these is Punxatawney Phil.
In the wild, groundhogs are excellent climbers, swimmers, and diggers. They hollow out long, deep burrows where they sleep and raise their young. Like bears, groundhogs hibernate, usually from October until March or April. They prepare by building up enough fat to last the winter, and then emerge from their slumber in the spring when food becomes more abundant.
- Recommended Age: 18M+
- Size in cm: 6 L x 7 W x 11.3 H
- Size in inches: 2.36 L x 2.76 W x 4.45 H
- UPC: 095866002398
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh