Safari Ltd Orca
The Orca, also known as the Killer Whale, is found in every one of the world’s oceans. Despite the name “Killer Whale”, it’s actually the largest member of the dolphin family!
- Safari Ltd Model 100232
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 15 x 9.9 x 6.5 cm
- Size in inches: 5.91 x 3.9 x 2.56 inches
- UPC: 095866003661
Killer Whales are highly intelligent mammals, and are known for being curious and playful. In the wild, they are known to pass behavioral and vocal adaptations from generation to generation, developing a sort of unique whale culture. There have been instances of Orcas mimicking human speech, and working together with humans to hunt fish.
Despite their reputation, there are very few reported attacks by Orcas on humans, mostly from captive animals. Like any wild animal, they should be treated with respect and caution, but they are not known to be any more or less dangerous than most other large species of whale. Still, they are top-level predators, meaning no other animals prey on them. They are even known to battle Great White Sharks and win.
The conservation status of Killer Whales is complicated, as it is believed that different populations may represent entirely different species of Orca. There are numerous different types which can be identified by their behavioral patterns, food choices, and color patterns. Some types are believed to be more endangered than others, and Orcas face threats from pollution, oil spills, climate change and drop in levels of their preferred prey species.
- Scientific Name: Orcinus orca
- Characteristics: This Orca figure is a male, which can be inferred by its large oval pectoral fins and its extremely tall dorsal fin. This Orca toy is sculpted in a swimming position, with its tail held high and ready to propel it through the water.
- Size and Color: This hand-painted Orca figurine measures 6 inches from nose to tail, and is 3 inches tall at the tip of its dorsal fin. It’s a little larger than a can of cola. Its colors are black above contrasted with white below, and features the whale’s trademark white patches just above and behind each eye. It also includes a dark gray “saddle” marking right behind its dorsal fin.
- The Orca is part of the Wild Safari® Sea Life collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh