Safari Ltd Pachyrhinosaurus
Pachyrinosaurus is a ‘horned dinosaur’ with a difference. It has a huge bony lump on its nose instead of large horns. It browsed for plants in North America during the Late Cretaceous, 69 million years ago, where it was among the last and largest of its kind.
- Scientific Name: Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai
- Characteristics: Pachyrhinosaurus had a large head with a curved beak, a frill with projecting horns, a large roughened lump or ‘boss’ on top of its nose, and a pair of small bosses above its eyes. It had a short body and short tail, and walked on four short robust legs. Its front legs had five toes, of which three have blunt claws, and the rear feet had four clawed toes. At 26 feet long it was one of the largest horned dinosaurs.
- Size and Color: This model is 7 inches long and 3.25 inches high. It is light brown above and cream below.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
The first Pachyrhinosaurus remains were discovered in 1945 by geologist O. A. Erdman, at Scabby Butte, Alberta. These bones were sent to Charles M. Sternberg at the Geological Survey of Canada. Following the discovery of more material later that decade, Sternberg eventually recognized it as a new type of horned dinosaur, which he described and named in 1950.
Pachyrhinosaurus belongs to the Ceratopsia, a group commonly referred to as ‘horned dinosaurs’. Ceratopsians are sometimes called the ‘buffalo of the Cretaceous’ because they lived in large herds. The evidence for this comes from footprints of many dinosaurs all walking in the same direction, and from fossils of multiple ceratopsian skeletons preserved together. Pachyrhinosaurus may therefore have been a social animal.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 17.5 L x 8.5 H
- Size in inches: 6.89 L x 3.35 H
- UPC: 095866302702
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh