Safari Ltd Pangolin
The curious Pangolins are the only mammals which feature armor-like scales made of keratin covering their body. They eat mostly insects and, when faced with danger, will curl into a ball to protect their sensitive underbelly. There are eight species of Pangolins found in Africa and Asia.
- Scientific Name: Order Pholidota, Family Manidae
- Characteristics: With their long noses, long tails and sharp claws, Pangolins resemble Anteaters wearing a suit of armor. This inquisitive Pangolin figure is crouching on its hind legs and is full of scientically accurate details, particularly in its iconic overlapping scales.
- Size and Color: This figure measures just about 7 inches long and just under 3 inches tall, about the size of a standard pair of scissors. Its scales are dark brown and its exposed head and underbelly is a lighter tan color, with a dark brown wash to bring out additional details.
- The Pangolin is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Pangolins share many features with other mammals. Their long snouts contain long tongues for snatching insects, as well as sharp claws for digging, just like an anteater. Their armor makes them appear similar to armadillos, and they can spray a stinky chemical when threatened, like a skunk. They were originally classified in the order Xenarthra, due to their similarity to sloths, anteaters and armadillos, but recent genetic studies have linked them closer to the order Carnivora, which includes cats, dogs, hyenas, bears, and seals.
Each of the eight species of Pangolin are listed as threatened in some way by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature. Some are listed as “Vulnerable” while others are considered “Critically Endangered”. The largest and most well-known species, the Giant Pangolin (Smutsia gigantean) is found in Africa and faces serious threats to its population due to habitat loss. They are also hunted for their scales, which some falsely believe to have medicinal properties.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 18 L x 5.2 W x 6.5 H
- Size in inches: 7.09 L x 2.05 W x 2.56 H
- Scale: 1:3
- UPC: 095866003128
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh