Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus
Psittacosaurus, or the ‘parrot lizard’, was a small plant eating dinosaur that lived in Mongolia and China during the Early Cretaceous, 100 to 120 million years ago. About the size of a large dog, this peaceful creature used its beak and rough teeth to cut and crush tough plants. Recent discoveries revealed the skin color and pattern of Psittacosaurus and also showed that it had an unusual row of bristles along the top of its tail.
- Scientific Name: Psittacosaurus mongoliensis
- Characteristics: Psittacosaurus was a small herbivore with a deep beak reminiscent of a parrot’s. It had a very wide head with spikes that protruded from its cheeks. It walked on two legs, but could also rest on its shorter arms. A row of long bristles protruded from top of its tail.
- Size and Color: This accurately bristled figure is 5.25 inches long and 1.75 inches high. Its spotted brown color, darker on top and lighter below, reflects the latest scientific discoveries.
- The Psittacosaurus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Psittacosaurus was first discovered in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia, during an expedition organized by the American Museum of Natural History in 1922. Psittacosaurus was described and named the following year. Its name translates as ‘parrot lizard’ because it had a deep, curved beak reminiscent of a parrot’s.
A wealth of fossil material, including adults, juveniles, and babies, makes Psittacosaurusone of the best-known of all the dinosaurs. Soft tissues have even been found preserved in a Psittacosaurus skeleton discovered in Liaoning Province, China. This impressive fossil shows the outline of the body and even indicates the color and pattern of the skin, which was darker on top and lighter underneath. It also shows a row of bristles running along the top of the tail, which may have been for show.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 13 L x 4.5 H
- Size in inches: 5.12 L x 1.77 H
- UPC: 095866001032
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh