Safari Ltd Pterosaur
Pterosaurs were the first reptiles to develop powered flight. They lived for a long time, from the Late Triassic to the End of the Cretaceous (228-66 million years ago). Although they are sometimes referred to as ‘flying dinosaurs,’ this is incorrect. Although they are closely related to dinosaurs, they are technically just outside of the group, so paleontologists refer to pterosaurs ad dinosaurs as ‘sistergroups’.
- Characteristics: Unlike birds, which have wings mostly made of feathers, the wings of pterosaurs are made of skin, more like a modern bat. However, the skin membrane of the bat’s wing is supported by four really long fingers. A pterosaur wing has only one long finger supporting its leading (front) edge. So, although the pterosaur wing and bat wing are superficially similar, they are quite different under the skin. Pterosaurs lived on earth for a long time, so there are many different kinds.
- Size and Color: This model is 4 inches long and 7 inches wide. It is medium brown with a lighter colored head.
- The Pterosaur is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
The first pterosaur was described a long time ago – in 1784. Pterosaurs were first thought to be swimmers because the paleontologist who found it thought that its wings were paddles. Soon after, the famous French anatomist and paleontologist Georges Cuvier realized that the paddles were actually wings, and that this was a flying creature. He named it ‘Pterodacylus’, meaning ‘wing finger’. To this day, it is common use the informal version, ‘pterodactyl’, to refer to all members of the group, but the correct term is ‘pterosaur’.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 10 L x 18 W x H
- Size in inches: 3.94 L x 7.09 W x 0.0 H
- UPC: 095866299705
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh