Safari Ltd Pygmy Hippo
At first glance, the pygmy hippopotamus may look like the baby of its relative, the common hippopotamus. However, it is fully grown at about half the size and a quarter of the weight of its larger cousin. Its nostrils are also less prominent, because it spends much less time in an aquatic environment than the common hippo.
- Safari Ltd Model 229229
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 8.26 x 2.67 x 4.32 cm
- Size in inches: 3.25 x 1.05 x 1.7 inches
Other than their size, pygmy hippos look similar to the larger common hippo, and the two mammals make up the only living members of the Hippopotamidae family. However, the pygmy hippo's habits are quite different than the larger common hippopotamus. Though it still spends time in water to keep cool and moist, it spends much more of its time on land than its cousin. It’s also nocturnal, meaning it is most active at night.
Pygmy hippos are endangered due to several factors. Their West African forest habitat is being depleted by logging activity to create housing and land for agriculture. This logging not only shrinks the area that the hippos can live in, but also cuts off populations from one another, limiting their genetic diversity. They are also illegally hunted (poached) for their meat.
- Scientific Name: Choeropsis liberiensis
- Characteristics: This small pygmy hippo figure is posed in mid walk, as if trekking through the forests it calls home. This hand-painted and highly detailed figure reflects the hippo’s rotund body, small legs and textured, pebbly skin.
- Size and Color: The pygmy hippo figure measures 3 ¼ inches long and 1 ¾ inches tall. It’s approximately the size of a credit card. This figure is painted with a dark rich brown above, fading to a lighter peach color underneath. Its eyes are an orange-brown with black pupils, and its toenails are a dark brown.
- The Pygmy Hippo is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
|Rural Auckland Courier||$8.50|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$5.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$8.50|
|South Island Courier||$6.90|
|Rural South Island Courier||$8.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh