Safari Ltd Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguins get their name from the rocky shores where they make their nests, and their habit of hopping from rock to rock to get around (instead of sliding like most penguin species). They are members of the genus of crested penguins, which are notable for their spiky yellow feathers on their heads.
- Scientific Name: Eudyptes chrysocome
- Characteristics: Rockhoppers are small penguins, and feature typical penguin features, other than the spiky crest of yellow feathers above each eye. This figure is posed with its wings outstretched, perhaps balancing itself as it prepares for its next hop.
- Size and Color: : This Rockhopper Penguin figure is just under 2 ¼ inches tall with a wingspan of around 2 ¾ inches, about the size of a sticky note. Its coloration is black with a white underside, and white under its wings with a slight yellow accent. It has pink feet and a red-orange bill, with red eyes and yellow crest feathers.
- The Rockhopper Penguin is part of the Wild Safari® Sea Life collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
There is some confusion among scientists about whether the Rockhopper Penguin is a single species, or three closely related species. The three types, the Southern, Eastern and Northern Rockhopper Penguins, are sometimes treated as subspecies. The Southern Rockhopper is considered a vulnerable species, while the Northern is considered endangered, with a population decline estimated at 90% since the 1950s.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 3.8 L x 7 W x 5.3 H
- Size in inches: 1.5 L x 2.76 W x 2.09 H
- UPC: 095866003678
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh