Safari Ltd Salmon
Salmon are a group of fish in the same family as trouts and char. Many salmon species are famous for their “anadromous” lifestyle: being born in freshwater, traveling to saltwater to live most of their lives, and then returning to freshwater to spawn.
- Scientific Name: Family Salmonidae, particularly genus Salmo and Oncorhynchus
- Characteristics: This hand-painted salmon figure is full of intricate sculptural details, from the spines of its fins to its scales. This figure is swimming with its mouth slightly open to reveal its tiny teeth.
- Size and Color: This Salmon figure a gray-green above and cream color below, with a pink stripe running along the length of its side that may indicate it is a spawning female. Its upper body and tailfin are covered in small dark spots. This figure measures 7 inches long and 2 ½ inches to the top of its dorsal fin, making it about as long as a standard sized pen or pencil.
- The Salmon is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Though some species remain in freshwater their entire lives, most species of salmon travel to the ocean as young fish and spend much of their life in the sea. When they mature, they begin a long and dangerous journey back to the waters where they were born, often swimming upstream against heavy currents and leaping acrobatically up rapids to reach their destination. Many salmon don’t survive the journey, falling prey to bears or simply exhausting themselves to death. Those that do reach their home waters will get to mate. Most salmon species will die shortly after mating occurs.
Many salmon species undergo a remarkable physical transformation during the spawning period. While salmon in the ocean often appear silver, blue or dull green in color, those on the way to the spawning grounds will often display bright reds and other vibrant color patterns, and males will grow a pronounced hump. Their jaws become longer and more hooked (known as a “kype”), with sharp teeth to help them do battle with other rival males.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 17 L x 4.5 W x 6.5 H
- Size in inches: 6.69 L x 1.77 W x 2.56 H
- Scale: 1:4
- UPC: 095866002756
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh