Safari Ltd Sea Dragon
The Sea Dragon is the only known dragon species that spends most of its life in the water. Its colors make it nearly invisible, with blues and greens blending to match its warm ocean habitat. Its razor-sharp teeth and snake-like reflexes have gained the respect of sailors.
- Safari Ltd 801229
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 18 x 12 cm
- Size in inches: 7.09 x 4.72 inches
Sea dragons, the scourge of the seas, have been sighted and feared by many a watchful sailor since the earliest days of seagoing vessels. The Mediterranean Sea, with its many underwater caves, small islands, and dangerous coves, provided an especially good habitat. As sailing ships grew larger, the threat of sea dragons lessened, but it was only with the advent of iron ships that sailors could breathe feely at sea.
While sea dragons were thought to swim the entire zone between the tropics, they appear most often in the legends and artwork of Mediterranean cultures. The Phoenicians were especially adept at ship building, and they traded up and down the eastern edge of the sea. This led to countless interactions with the terrifying sea dragons that inhabited those turbulent waters. Phoenician storytellers told of one dragon that would hide in rocky shoals where whirlpools were common. When ships turned into deeper water, the dragon would strike, attempting to capsize the ship.
- Scientific Name: Draco oceanius
- Characteristics: A long tail helps propel it easily through the water, while a scaly texture gives the sea dragon a lifelike look and feel. Spikes and spines complete the fearsome persona.
- Size and Color: This sea dragon figure is 7 inches long and 4 ¾ tall, sized like other dragons in the collection. A stunning blend of seawater greens and blues contrasts with fierce red eyes to give this sea dragon a striking look.
- The Sea Dragon is part of the Mythical Realms® collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh