Safari Ltd Suchomimus
Suchomimus was a theropod dinosaur that lived in the Lower Cretaceous (about 120 million years ago) in what is now Niger, Africa. ‘Suchomimus’ literally means ‘crocodile mimic’.
- Scientific Name: Suchomimus tenerensis
- Characteristics: Like many theropods, Suchomimus was large, at least 30 feet long. In contrast to most theropods, the skull of Suchomimus was extremely thin and had a low profile. Its jaws were long and slender, and contained a total of about 120 conical teeth that did not resemble the blade-like teeth of most theropods.
- Size and Color: This figure is 7.5 inches long and 3.75 inches high. The model has a dark green back and orange-yellow belly. Like modern crocodiles and alligators, such a color combination would make the dinosaur harder to see in the water by their prey.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Suchomimus is not a common dinosaur. It was first discovered in 1997 by a team led by Paul Sereno of the University of Chicago. The best specimen is an incomplete skeleton lacking a skull. Fortunately, the same locality produced a partial skull and several individual bones, so it was possible to reconstruct a composite skeleton. Subsequent expeditions have produced a few more bones, but a complete skeleton of Suchomimus has yet to be discovered.
Suchomimus and its close relatives Spinosaurus, Baryonyx, and Irritator (forming the family ‘Spinosauridae’) are amongst the most mysterious dinosaurs known. They all have very crocodile-like skulls that suggest that, like crocodiles, they would have been good at catching fish, but their bodies are not at all crocodile-like, and show no obvious adaptions for swimming.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 19.25 L x 9.75 H
- Size in inches: 7.58 L x 3.84 H
- UPC: 095866302900
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh