Safari Ltd Sumatran Rhino
- Scientific Name: Dicerorhinus sumatrensis
- Characteristics: This hand-painted figure captures all the unique traits of the rare Sumatran rhino: its reddish brown hair, its small size (for a rhino) and its small pair of blunt nose horns. This little fella is posed as if on the move, perhaps trudging through the cloud forests it calls home.
- Size and Color: The Sumatran rhino figure is 4 ½ inches from nose to tail, and stands just a hair over 2 inches tall. It’s a bit longer than a deck of cards on its side and as tall as a credit card. This figure is reddish brown with darker brown accents on the hairy areas of its back, legs and sides. Its toenails and horns are grayish brown, with black on the eyes, nostrils and mouth.
- The Sumatran Rhino is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Sumatran rhinos, the only living members of the genus Dicerorhinus, are the most primitive of the rhino species alive today. It shares many of its features, like its hairy coat, with extinct rhinos, and is thought to be more closely related to the prehistoric wooly rhinoceros (genus Coelodonta) than to the other four modern day rhino species.
Though they were once widespread through much of Southeast Asia, there are currently believed to be fewer than a hundred of these rhinos left in the wild. There are only five small isolated populations of Sumatran rhinos in Borneo and Sumatra. They are illegally hunted because their horn is falsely believed by some to have medicinal properties, causing it to sell for very high prices on black markets. Destruction of its rainforest habitat by loggers has also harmed the rhino, and without drastic action taken to save the species it may not last much longer.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 11.5 L x 3.5 W x 5.3 H
- Size in inches: 4.53 L x 1.38 W x 2.09 H
- UPC: 095866002244
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh