Safari Ltd Tyrannosaurus rex
Tyrannosaurus rex was one of the largest known theropod dinosaur. It lived in what is now western North America in the latest Cretaceous Period (68-66 million years ago). Tyrannosaurus rex, often called ‘T. rex’ because it is shorter, lived right up to the end of the Cretaceous Period, so was one of the last dinosaurs to have lived on earth.
- Safari Ltd Model 298529
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 18 x 10 cm
- Size in inches: 7.09 x 3.94 inches
The very first Tyrannosaurus was found by the famous fossil collector, Barnum Brown in 1900 in Wyoming. Over the next five years, he collected four more skeletons, and Henry Osborn, from the American Museum of Natural History in New York studied these skeletons and named Tyrannosaurus rex in 1905. The largest of Brown’s skeletons can be seen on display At the American Museum, and another is on display at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Tyrannosaurus skeletons are quite rare, so paleontologists were very excited when the most complete skeleton yet was found in South Dakota in 1990. This skeleton, nicknamed ‘Sue’, is now on exhibit at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
- Scientific name: Tyrannosaurus rex meaning ‘tyrant lizard’ and ‘king’
- Characteristics: Tyrannosaurus, was large (at least 40 feet long), stout and muscular (5-6 metric tons). It ran on its thick hind legs. Its huge jaws contained lots of sharp, six inch long teeth. Each tooth had a serrated blade on both the front and back edges that could easily have cut through any prey. Its front limbs were tiny and its hands had only two little fingers. We don’t know what these fingers were for, but they were far too small and weak to walk on, fight off other dinosaurs, or grasp prey.
- Size and color: This model is 7 inches long and 4 inches high. Like many living lizards, it is a dark green in its upper parts, and a light tan color underneath.
- The Tyrannosaurus Rex is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh