Safari Ltd Vaquita Porpoise
The Vaquita is sadly one of the most endangered animals on the planet. This small cetacean is native only to the northwestern Gulf of California in Mexico, and its population is currently estimated at just 30 individuals. It faces extreme threat to its existence due to becoming tangled in illegal gillnets and changes to its limited habitat.
- Scientific Name: Phocoena sinus
- Characteristics: Like most porpoises, this figure features a stocky body with a rounded, beakless head. Its smooth form is well-suited for swimming through its ocean habitat, and its dorsal fin is proportionately large compared to other porpoise species. While the vaquita is elusive and often avoids humans, this figure can stick by you wherever you go!
- Size and Color: This vaquita measures 3 3/4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches high at the top of its dorsal fin, making it a bit longer than a credit card stood on its side, and slightly shorter. Like its real life counterpart, this hand painted figure is dark gray above fading to white underneath. It also features the characteristic dark pectoral fins, as well as the dark gray markings around the mouth and eyes.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
The Vaquita is seldom seen and tends to avoid boats. It is an unobtrusive porpoise, barely disturbing the surface when it comes up to breathe. Despite its general avoidance of humans, they are still in severe decline and will not recover without immediate action taken to save the species. The vaquita most frequently becomes tangled in gill nets meant to catch the totoaba sea bass, which itself is severely endangered. This type of fishing has been declared illegal in the cetacean’s range, but it still occurs and causes harm to the porpoise population.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 9.53 L x 3.05 W x 3.68 H
- Size in inches: 3.75 L x 1.2 W x 1.45 H
- UPC: 095866002220
|Rural Auckland Courier||$6.90|
|Rest of North Island Courier||$4.90|
|Rest of Rural North Island Courier||$6.90|
|South Island Courier||$5.50|
|Rural South Island Courier||$7.90|
Postage is only charged once per order - No additional charges for additional items.
We Also Recommend
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh